Day 1: Amsterdam, Holland (embarkation)
Welcome to Amsterdam. Your Suite Ship is Ready for Boarding.
Guests must be on board ship by 5pm. During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to the gardens at Keukenhof—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths as well as other bulbs planted each year.
Outside of tulip season, consider joining a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
Spend free time exploring the colourful streets, bridges, and canals of Amsterdam—with its many cafés and art galleries. Overnight docking in Amsterdam. (D)
Day 2: Amsterdam - colourful Amsterdam—with canals, crooked houses, and cuisine of a golden age
- Classic: Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam with a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.”
Return to your ship for a leisurely afternoon cruise, or enjoy free time in Amsterdam and transfer to re-join your ship in Utrecht.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Culinary Walk through Amsterdam, or a Guided Optional Biking Excursion through the Dutch countryside. You might decide to join a Guided Optional Excursion to Muiderslot Castle—the most beautiful and best-kept medieval castle in Holland. Evening/overnight cruise to Cologne. (B,L,D)
Day 3: Cologne, Germany - Prost! celebrate in the Rhineland’s capital city
Start the day with a Morning Stretch with your Avalon Adventure Host.
- Classic: Take a Guided City Walk of Cologne—explore the Old City and see its soaring twin-steepled gothic cathedral, OR:
- Discovery: Join a Guided Walking Tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites.
Don’t miss the chance to enjoy free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years! This evening, enjoy live entertainment on board your ship. Overnight cruise to Rudesheim. (B,L,D)
Day 4: Rüdesheim - Rhine Gorge - eat, drink, and be merry in wine country
This morning cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge and see the famous rock of The Lorelei.
- Discovery: Tour the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience, OR:
- Active: Take an open-air cable car ride to the Niederwald Monument. Ride or walk back down through the vineyards.
- Discovery: Based on your departure date, enjoy either a Coffee Tasting or a Wine Tasting.
Later, local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment. Evening/overnight cruise to Main river village. (B,L,D)
Day 5: Main River Village - hidden gems and Bavarian beauty of a Main river village
Start the day with a Morning Stretch with your Avalon Adventure Host.
- Classic: Join a Guided Walking Tour of a picturesque Bavarian village.
Spend free time riding a bike through the beautiful villages on the Main River shores. Evening/overnight cruise to Wurzburg. (B,L,D)
Day 6: Würzburg - a pearl, a painting, and a glass of wine for the perfect afternoon
- Classic: Take a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the “Pearl of the Romantic Road” with its Old Main Bridge, towering fortress, and baroque Bishop’s Residenz—with the largest known ceiling fresco.
Enjoy the city on your own, or visit a local winery. Later, enjoy onboard entertainment. Overnight docking in Wurzburg. (B,L,D)
Day 7: Marktbreit. Excursion to Rothenburg - storybook romance in a timeless town
- Classic: Take a morning Guided Tour of Rothenburg— seemingly untouched by time on Bavaria’s Romantic Road, OR:
- Active: Join your Avalon Adventure Host for a Morning Walk.
Take advantage of free time this afternoon to shop for Hummel fi gurines, cuckoo clocks, or sip a glass of local Tauber wine. Afternoon/overnight cruise to Bamberg. (B,L,D)
Day 8: Bamberg - one thousand years of history in the City of Seven Hills
- Classic: Take a Guided Walking Tour of the former home to imperial dynasties, and see its Romanesque cathedral, Old Town Hall, and seven hills crowned with churches.
Enjoy a live entertainment performance while sailing this evening. Afternoon/overnight cruise to Roth. (B,L,D)
Day 9: Roth. Excursion to Nuremberg - living heritage and history lessons
- Active: Go for an early Morning Run with your Avalon Adventure Host.
- Classic: Enjoy a Guided Sightseeing Tour of the Bavarian town of Roth—with its half-timbered houses, market square, and 1535 hunting lodge Schloss Ratibor, OR:
- Classic: Choose a Guided Tour of Nuremberg’s medieval architecture, gilded fountain, gothic cathedral, and Kaiserburg Castle, OR:
- Classic: Join a Guided Tour of the historic Nuremberg Rally Grounds—used by the Third Reich.
- Discovery: Later, enjoy an Onboard Lecture about the Main-Danube Canal—linking these two rivers to make a vital connection enabling navigation between the North and Black Seas.
Afternoon/overnight cruise to Regensburg. (B,L,D)
Day 10: Regensburg - magical Regensburg—Bavaria’s medieval miracle
- Classic: Join a Guided City Walk to see the Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) and Porta Pretoria— built in 179 AD as the entrance to Castra Regina fortress.
You may choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to visit the Benedictine Monastery in Weltenburg.
Spend a free afternoon exploring Regensburg on foot or by bike through its charming streets.
This evening, enjoy live entertainment after dinner as you cruise toward Passau. Evening/overnight cruise to Passau. (B,L,D)
Day 11: Passau - go for Baroque in Passau – where the Danube, Inn, and Ilz Rivers meet
- Classic: Join a Guided City Walk to learn more about this beautiful “City of Three Rivers.”
Alternatively, you may join a full day Guided Optional Excursion to Salzburg, the city of Mozart, or a full day Guided Optional Excursion to the picturesque Bohemian town of Český Krumlov.
This afternoon, cruise to the lovely town of Linz. Overnight cruise to Melk. (B,L,D)
Day 12: Melk - Wachau Valley - striking frescoes and breathtaking views of the Wachau Valley
- Classic: Take a Guided Tour of the frescoed ceilings, statues, incredible library, and ornate pipe organ of Melk’s Benedictine Abbey.
Enjoy a coffee or cocktail on the Sky Deck as you sail through the picturesque Wachau Valley to wonderful Vienna this afternoon.
Vienna - Vienna waltzes and Blue Danube beauty
Consider joining a Guided Optional Excursion to attend a Royal Waltz Concert in an elegant hall this evening. Overnight docking in Vienna. (B,L,D)
Day 13: Vienna - royal collections, amusing attractions, and culinary confections
- Classic: Venture into the Habsburg Empire with a morning Guided City Tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex— the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the historic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Join a Guided Optional Excursion to Schönbrunn Palace— the Habsburg family summer home for 300 years, or choose a Guided Optional Excursion to fascinating Bratislava, capital of Slovakia.
You may also take a tram to Austria’s Prater amusement park or to one of the many museums nearby. Later, relax onboard with live entertainment as you sail to Budapest. Evening/overnight cruise to Budapest. (B,L,D)
Day 14: Budapest, Hungary - The Pearl of the Danube in the heart of Europe
- Classic: Enjoy a Guided City Sightseeing tour of Budapest, including the iconic Heroes’ Square.
The afternoon is free to enjoy Budapest on your own. Be sure to savour a piece of cream cake in the world-famous Gerbeaud Café. Consider a scenic hike in the hills above the Danube. Overnight docking in Budapest. (B,L,D)
Day 15: Budapest (disembarkation)
Your holiday ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
A reverse cruise option is also available from Budapest to Amsterdam - call for itinerary details.
Special interest cruises -
Looking to enrich your adventures while you sail? A Beer Tasting cruise is available to help you delve deeper into what you’re passionate about. Call for itinerary modifications and inclusions.